CALL UTILITY COMPANIES (one-two weeks before moving)
- CPS, water, telephone, cable, fuel & garbage co’s. to transfer service over to new owner (don’t turn off fuel, just transfer)
- Pay bills and get refunds on any deposits made.
Prior To Leaving:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Charge accounts, credit cards, AAA
- Subscriptions: Several weeks notice required, Local newspapers and magazines
- Friends and relatives
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city.
- Arrange credit references. Obtain certified check necessary for NEW home
- Obtain certified check necessary for NEW home
Insurance — Notify company of new location for coverage:
- Laundry, newspaper, changeover of services
Medical, Dental, Prescription History
- Ask Doctors and Dentists for referrals; transfer needed RX’s, eyeglasses, X-rays. Obtain birth certificates, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags
…And Don’t Forget To:
- Empty and defrost freezer; plan use of food
- Clean refrigerator and places charcoal to despel odors.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Arrange for TV cable and / antenna.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have them “moving wrapped”.
- Check with your mover; insurance coverage, packing and unpacking costs, arrival date, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special care needs of infants, and pets.
On Moving Day:
- Carry enough cash or traveler’s checks to cover cost of moving services.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, cellar to be sure they are empty
Once At Your New Address
- Check service on telephone, gas, electricity, water and garbage
- Have new address recorded on drivers’ license and apply for new if applicable
- Register cars within 30 days arriving in new address or you may incur a penalty
- Visit city offices to register to vote.
- Register children in school
- Arrange for medical services
Good luck in your new home! Moving is a major life change but is usually very refreshing and exciting after you get past all the hard work. I’ll miss talking to you, so please keep in touch. My email address is: email@example.com.
About one week prior to closing on a property the buyer and the seller should notify their service providers of the impending sale. Below is a quick check-list with some helpful telephone numbers that you might need.
- CPS Energy – Gas & Electric – (210) 353-2222
- San Antonio Water Systems – Water – (210) 704-SAWS.
- AT&T – Phone Services – 1-866-360-2690
- Time Warner Cable – Cable TV – (210) 342-1412
- Goodwill – (210) 924-8581
- Salvation Army – (210) 352-2000
- Vietnam Veterans of America – 1-800-VVA-1316
- Voter Registration – (210) 335-VOTE